Sunday, February 27, 2011

The little people...

Today marks 1 month to date since I left home. It’s funny because it seems like I have talked to some of my family and friends more in the past month than I have in years. I think my parent's are experiencing reverse empty nest syndrome, like umm didn't we already get rid of you?? (Thanks for being so accessible the past few weeks Mom and Dad. Even when I call at 5am your time oopsie) I think I am ready to re-establish my independence now :) The frequency has definitely increased, I guess its part the adjustment process and re-building my support system.


All and All, things are wonderful. I am adjusting in my own unique way in my own time. I love it here and I am beyond happy that I made the decision to join the Peace Corps. 1 more month of living with my host family, then I will be moving into my own place. I am very excited about the move. I wish my bestie was here to help decorate but I will figure something out .

Enough about me. This update is mainly to express my deep admiration for the little people in my life. Literally, the little people. Tomorrow will be my 3rd week of working at the primary school I have been assigned to work at the next 2 years. I am REALLY taking to the kids at the school. They are so bright, enthusiastic, creative , caring, energetic...the list goes on. They have welcomed me with open arms. The teachers are wonderful as well. Most of them have been at the school for 10+ years. Their experience and wisdom shine through in many ways as they work with the students.


Aside from the joy experienced from the personal interaction with the students and teachers I 've also silently been in a state of awe. I have so much admiration for the resourcefulness of the school. They create and foster an environment of abundance. How? Lets see, Basic set of books, Chalkboard and desk. The end :) The students generally show appreciation for what they have and appear to be happy and content with what is. Alas, the key to happiness has been disclosed to these little people at the ripe age of 10! How fortunate are they to have made this discovery so early in life.


On the flip side ( yes, if you know me then you know exactly where this post is going) *smile* Acknowledging the beauty that exist within simplicity and resourcefulness, oh and my favorite - vivid use of the untamed imagination, I also have to support the benefits of exposure and mental stimulation. I think it is fair to say there are many ways in which learning manipulatives and culturally appropriate books (published within the last 10 years) that interest children while challenging their minds can enhance the process of learning in a multitude of ways.


I have created a separate page titled wish list. Check it out and enjoy the clips!




4 comments:

  1. Very nice..I truly enjoyed reading your post...it's always amazing the things we learn on this journey called "life"...I wish you everything you dream for and more...you deserve it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The students REALLY enjoyed making them :)

    ReplyDelete