Monday, June 18, 2012

Books are treasures...


..dig in! ( the 2011-2012 theme for Literacy Week).  The students surely dug in ALL the way after the grand re-opening of the school library this year. 

As many of you know, I have less than a year left of my service. I will be at the school for term 1 and 2 of next school year and then my service is over. Yesterday my Dad asked me if I felt my work at the school was actually impacting the students. After a few moments of uncertainty, it came to me with clarity- The Library has been the absolute highlight of  my work at the school. 


Creating a space for the students to come and relax, find a moment of peace and quiet as they read through Clifford the big red dog, Dora the explorer, "Just for me"  (a series specially created for children of African Descent), Chicken soup for the child's soul, Baby sitters club, Junie B. Jones, National Geographic for kids and the list goes on and on...seeing them fully take in this space daily has continued to be a source of inspiration during my time here. 

I am extremely grateful for all of you that helped make this vision become a reality last year.  Hands Across the Sea has generously offered to help us again this year. With your help, we obtained 700 books and art supplies last year. This was a GREAT start. We are looking to continue to grow the school library by adding 700 more books this year. You aren't in this alone, Hands Across the Sea contributes donations from private donors and we had parents and teachers that also brought in books throughout the year. Our collection is growing each month. 

 The donations this year will also be used to purchase manual stationary pencil sharpeners to install in each classroom so that the students can finally leave the straight edge razors at home! (cringe)

Any little bit helps! Please donate today.

 
           
            Wonderful start, help us keep growing.
Help nourish our library...






Library Card full up!

Teacher sign out sheet

See that space? Help us fill it with new books!


2 comments:

  1. This is soooo cool. You are doing great and valuable work my friend. Keep it up, you make me proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. St-vincent and the Grenadines

    ReplyDelete