Friday, August 10, 2012

What is Carnival? (follow up)


In my previous post  Carnival Time I said I would capture some comments from Vincentians and share their take on Vincy Mas and carnival in general.  

Well here you go!

Keep in mind this is an extremely small sample size of the island (1 non-Vincentian interview included- thanks Ivan!)  and only reflects the views of those interviewed as individuals, this is by no means a post to say "All Vincentians" feel this way about carnival. Mostly co-workers and friends.

Also, most of my interviews where pre-carnival, not during or after the events. It would of been nice to get more interviews with  people that did participate in Vincy Mas, however I didn't   bring my flip cam to the festivities I attended so that made my window of opportunity a bit smaller.



A lot of people partake in Vincy Mas,  a lot don't , it is a personal choice. I would have liked to talk to some of the people that study history and culture on a regular basis like Sister Nell or Dr. Adams to see what they had to say about the origins of Carnival in the Caribbean but didn't get around to it...maybe that will be a future post maybe not..

Personally, I am kind of over the carnival thing at this point. It was a great time, some people have the time of their life...I enjoy all the dancing and good music but I think 1-2 days is enough for me. I would say if I was here for a 3rd year, I might sit the next one out or maybe do some different events like Panorama and the Cylypso contest . I guess that is the beauty of carnival season, it is not a one size fits all celebration, there are different ways to be involved if one wishes to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment