Wednesday, October 12, 2011

...virtual hugs

The past few weeks have been wonderful. I am finally feeling at home here, enjoying the school year (I LOVE the little kiddos). I am creating opportunities to travel, collaborating on some powerful exciting projects (VSPCA, Basic Computer Skills @ the Women’s Prison, afterschool reading group with STAR APPLE, mentoring at the girls home and HIV/AIDS outreach with CARE SVG) . I am full in so many ways.

At the same time I have continued to ensure I have my down time to indulge in inner work. This has become essential to maintaining my sense of balance and stability here. Reading, writing, reflecting...I crave this space - transformative, truly.  

As the countdown nears to my visit home in December about (10 weeks out), I remind myself not to get caught up in plans of the future.  This can be quite difficult on some days (I have already started a list of places to go, people to see and  things to eat!) . At times I miss my friends and family more than I ever imagined I would. In those moments, I try to give thanks to the feeling of love and life shared between those I hold close to my heart and I .  

My wish is  to continue to live each day fully here, keeping in mind that each day is indeed a gift. 24 hours of this life on earth that I will never get back. One less day in my 27-month experience as volunteer. Yet also one more birthday, one more celebration,  or family gathering that I am unable to attend.

As I countdown the days until I am in the comfort and presence of my loved ones, I try to remember to continue to breathe in all that is before me.

This might sound dramatic but it is as if I am existing within two worlds right now. Slowly giving more of myself to one  while reluctantly retreating a little more each day from another. I guess that is part of exploration? You must set sail in order to reach new lands.

~Drifting somewhere in-between~

...so when skyping just doesn't cut it, just know I miss you guys- very  very  very much.

“love one another, but make not a bond of love:
let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.
give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf
sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,
even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.”
Khalil Gibran     

4 comments:

  1. I miss you tooooooo!!! So very much! But I am so happy that you are feeling at home there and really giving your all to the community. So very proud of you. Can't wait to see you!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Young man,
    Young woman,
    Life turns for you.
    This is a magic time,
    a mythic passage,
    In your becoming
    We who welcome you,
    None of us is too old
    So as to have forgotten
    --the mystery of not
    knowing,
    --the delight of first
    discovery,
    --the impatience to hurry
    what will come next
    --the terrible wonderfulness
    of the changes...
    -Edward Searl

    love you Jess. xo, ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww thanks Chel! So close :)

    Camille, beautiful poem! Thank you so much for leaving this."the terrible wonderfulness
    of the changes..." *cheers* to that love!

    ReplyDelete